…Was watching a taped episode of The Dr. Oz Show recently. It amazes me how much useful information he gives to his audience daily. The episode included a segment on “10 Major-Agers”. According to the Dr., there are products/ingredients most of us have in our household that really contribute to an accelerated aging process! I learn something new on each episode of the Dr. Oz Show – no kidding. I have to admit to writing down tips while I’m watching (I’ve noticed that some people in his studio audience do the very same thing).
Here’s what I learned on that episode:
Ten “major-agers” found in most households:
1. Cleaning Products containing chlorine bleach
An alternative: use white vinegar and/or baking soda for cleaning.
2. Mosquito Repellent
An alternative: Use citronella candles (a known insect repellent)
3. Soaps (with fragrance, color and no moisturizer)
An alternative: soaps that are Ph balanced
4. High Fructose Corn Syrup
An alternative: do not use anything with this ingredient – especially for hyperglycemics/diabetics;
5. Decorating Icing (contains trans fats and hydrogenated oils)
6. Nail Polish (containing “toluene” – can be toxic to the nervous system and is used to boost the octanes in gasoline! and we put it on our nails…hmmmm…. see http://planetgreen.discovery.com/fashion-beauty/toluene.html )
An alternative: use toluene FREE polishes
7. Hard Liquor
An alternative: a glass of wine (red, preferably)
An alternative: Don’t smoke! We know the drill ….causes cancers, very harmful to the heart/lungs/skin and body in general. Get smoking cessation drugs/or get into program with M.D.’s direction
9. Dish Detergent (most contain NPE: “Nonylphenol Ethoxylate”…… I read this man made chemical has no know human health effects with normal use – BUT can be harmful to the environment since it’s not easily broken down in water and is toxic to fish….. see: http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/business/topics/pollution/39187.aspx)
An alternative: Find detergent that is FREE of this additive.
1o. Mothballs (contains “Naphthalene” which if inhaled can be toxic )
An alternative: Use Cedar chips.
The above was obtained from watching the show…..go to Dr. Oz’s website for detailed info: http://www.doctoroz.com/
As the old saying goes……: “you learn something new everyday!”